Friday, November 9, 2012

Week eight in American history.

This week was super fun! We learned about the solar system and how David Rittenhouse used his God given smarts in math and science to help the colonists. We also learned about how King Phillip turned against the settlers after the passing of his father, Chief Massasoit. This was a very brutal time period to study and the kids learned a lot about the wars between the Natives and the new Americans.

The kids got to make up their own "safe houses" out of Lego's ( I love HOD) and then play with them. They had wars between the natives and colonists.



They learned the order of the planets orbits around the sun and did these projects to reinforce it. We had a ton of fun with the chalk ones! We also watched Bill Nye the Science Guy DVD (Planets). They really enjoyed his humor of course. 
Bible time fun! Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord will be kept safe. Proverbs 29:25. Their legs are supposed to be in a snare in this pic.


This picture cracks me up!
Cuddles on the couch. Doodlebug was upset... can't remember why now though. They have been playing some secret detective game lately and that is the reason for the beanies... I promise we have heat ;)



Star student!!! The kids stayed on task well this week and even did extra work to be ahead. So the teacher awarded them with a star student scratch it. I can't remember where I got this idea now... a blog I used to read.... anyhow, the kids love this.


Inchworm likes to get in on our push ups :)

Sorry about the sideways pic.. too lazy to fix it right now. Or in too much of a hurry I suppose. This is when the kids were practicing following directions like Captain Church and other colonists had to be very accurate in doing.

We watched  "boz" about a gillion times this week. :) Inchworm is obsessed with this movie for some reason. He can't say his O's so it comes out "boz".

Pumpkin seeds!!! YUM! After Doodlebug and Polly wog beat our pumpkin to a pulp with a baseball bat. With Mom's permission of course!
We made wampum belts with rice when we learned about King Philip and how he wore one to show his importance. The natives and colonists used wampum as money. Wampum was parts of clam shells with holes bored into them.



On Friday fun day the kids got to play doctor and using their scalpels and bandages performed surgery on contractions.
This about sums up our week. Have a great weekend!!!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you get your posts up so quickly! I love how you did the planets. Hopefully you learned from me that they don't fit well at all on a small sheet of paper :) We skipped a few days of school because we were sick, but somehow managed to get everything done. I better get to working on my post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Ha I just posted week seven minutes before week eight lol
      Yes, it was your post that let me know to tape an extra sheet of paper onto the top of our page for the planets. I appreciate all your tips, since you are ahead of us. Sorry you guys were sick.. Hope everyone is on the mend. Hurry up with that post! I love reading them ;)

      Delete
  2. What adorable kiddos you have!! We are studying the same time in American History and I also have a Lego lover! Congrats on a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the planets! And the contraction activity :) I just saw that on Pinterest and thought it was such a cute idea! I'm going to pin this so I don't forget :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids had fun with both activities but they got tired of the contraction activity pretty quickly. I made them finish of course but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. I guess in public school they would have more hands working on it so it would go faster.

      Delete